Friday 3 August 2007

Overcrowded House

I HAVE SO MUCH STUFF!

I'm not sure where to start so I'm going to start here: at my desk. I'll categorize the items if possible. I'm trying to reduce what I have so ebay and Freecycle may feature prominently. Unless of course, I can't bring myself to throw stuff out because "you never know when you might need it" (if the best predictor of behaviour is behaviour, then this is what will happen.....)

Desk:

  • Paper shredder (keep- business)
  • Printer/copier/scanner (keep- business)
  • Shiny new computer *she smiles* (keep- business)
  • External hard drive - need to get OH to set this up for me. Atm it is an uncommected useless box (keep- business) Reason I had to buy new computer was previous one died taking most of my info on it cos I didn't have the discipline to back up regularly.
  • Storage carousel for stationary (keep- business)
  • Row of files (keep- business)
  • Disposable camera (Freecycle box)
  • Box of jewellery, none of which I've worn for years, though all were quite expensive.... I'm struggling now. If I don't wear it in the next month, how can I justify keeping it? It's mostly silver though and needs cleaning....
  • In/Out tray (needs filing....) (keep- business)

I've hit my first hurdle: the box of jewellery. I love jewellery, I lust after it in shops, but I rarely wear it, even though I've bought it frequently in the past. I'm a recovering jewellery addict in the sense that I now don't buy, I stroke or just window shop, but I don't know what to do with the stuff I have bought and now don't use. I definately won't wear rings, I find them restricting and I take them off to wash my hands and lose them. Earrings and necklaces are another matter, I have a grabber of a son. But other mother wear necklaces (I know this as I lust after them often enough). The grabbing's not going to be forever, so I reason I should keep them. I'm going to a wedding reception tonight. A good chance to change my behaviour and actually wear my jewellery rather than buy and store it! (Wonder if I have some silver cleaner in a cupboard somewhere?)

Jewellery box inventory

  • Square silver bangle (estimated cost £20) very stained, currently unwearable because of this
  • Large silver loop earrings missing a butterfly, unwearable because of this (estimated cost £20) slightly stained
  • Various belly button wear (haven't worn since a few months pregnant). When am I likely to get my belly out in near future?
  • Delicate silver necklace (estimated cost £20) slightly stained. This is lovely but needs a clean...
  • Purple elastic bracelet with small plastic butterfly. This is kids jewellery and disposable - but I'm having problems disposing of it. I've put it on and taken it off, wondered if my friend's little girl might want it and ... it's now in the bin..!
  • Necklace with large silver cube on gold silk rope (estimated cost £50) slightly stained. Also lovely but requiring a clean...
  • Solid silver "Infinity" necklace handmade by "Master Jeweller" Paul Hatton http://www.harddiamond.com/ (estimated cost £200) bought by my ex-husband. The irony. Just tried it on. It is gorgeous, but needs a clean...
  • Silver and ceramic pendant necklace and matching ring (estimated cost £50)
  • Silver and sapphire pendant necklace and one matching earring (estimated cost £30)
  • 5 x siler earrings (estimated cost of each up to £10) all need a clean
  • 24 ct gold earrings (estimated cost £100)
  • 5 x silver rings which I will never wear. One is my old wedding ring (think it's white gold). All but this, I think I can sell on ebay. They'll have a value to someone, just not me.
  • "Evil eye" earrings (estimated cost £1)(in bin!)
  • Various odd earrings (in bin - I will never find the other!)

I need to clean the stuff I've retained and wear it!

No comments: